You may not think much about the release of The Hobbit this Friday, but there is one thing those short hairy-footed men got right: second breakfast! While I grab something quick immediately upon waking up, I usually need another breakfast around 8:30-9:30. This is a great second breakfast or Sunday brunch, and is actually a pretty quick-and-dirty meal, supplying a few servings of veggies along with with plenty of protein. So give it a try the next time your stomach starts rumbling mid morning!
You have two options, you can either buy frozen veggies and steam them first, or chop your own. Regardless, you will need:
-bell peppers (whatever colors you want)
-cheese (optional, can use white cheddar, provolone, feta, or mozzarella)
1. Sauté onion with whatever spices you would like. I use garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
2. Whisk eggs with salsa, if desired. May also mix with just tomatoes.
3. In another pan, sauté zucchini and yellow squash.
4. Mix tomatoes in with zucchini and yellow squash when the squash is nearly done.
5. In other pan, pour egg mixture over sauteed onions and allow to cook thoroughly on each side.
6. Remove egg from heat and transfer to plate.
7. Spoon sauteed squash and tomato mixture over the top of the egg and top with desired cheese.
8. Enjoy your frittata!